Thursday, April 25, 2013

Collage and Play



I had a realization recently about my recent studio practice. I've been fortunate to have so many opportunities of late, but since I have to work, my studio time has been focused solely on projects, and finishing said projects by deadlines. I've been concentrating on accomplishment. It's been a while since I just played as an artist, with no goal in mind.

I used to make a point of every time I came into the studio, to start with what I called "pointless drawings." Pointless because they remained outside of projects, the only goal was to practice drawing and preserve a fresh outlook. Yet, I've gotten away from that in the past year.

My pieces for Win Win! (see post) made me remember how much I love collage. While I was making them, I started playing.



Fulmination

Some of these started because I'd have leftover paint on the palette, and didn't want it to go to waste.



Trinitite I

I really tried to give into the process of just making, and ignore the voice in my head that said I should be Doing Something Important.



Trinitite II



I've also been thinking some of the ideas here, about how life outside of the studio informs the practice. Play helps us retain a sense of wonder, necessary to making.



Trinitite III

So a renewed goal - to remember my pointless drawings. Play is the whole point.

No comments: