Monday, April 29, 2013

I know the way to San Jose




Every time I go to San Jose, I find myself humming this song. This is an extremely belated post about my workshop at the San Jose ICA Print Center back in February. Above is their lovely press, that still needs a name.

The workshop began on a Thursday evening, where I gave a introduction to relief and showed examples, both real and virtual. Kim Munson took some excellent photos - see them here.

Friday, attendees had a chance to gather materials and consider their ideas. Saturday was dedicated to carving.



One or two students managed to print on Saturday, but Sunday was the real printing extravaganza.

First, we tried some experiments with blind embossing (no ink).



Then, printed like crazy.



So many prints!



There was also an amazing show of mezzotints by Judith Rothchild, and as well as an amazing-crazy paper installation by Val Britton and a show called Parallax Views, that was being installed at the time, but is now up, which includes work by Tracey!

Judith Rothchild mezzotints:



Val Britton:



I also got a real kick out of this poster, leftover from a previous exhibition.



The Print Center offers a variety of workshops - to see a listing, visit here. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Kim Munson for all her organizing and assistance. I'm hoping, now that things are calming down, to offer a papermaking workshop there soon. Check back here for updates!

No comments: